What to do when someone dies

Please ring Adam & Greenwood at any time of the day or night and let us help you. You will speak directly to one of our Funeral Directors.(01245 496620)

If the Death Occurs in Hospital

The hospital staff will contact whoever is named as the next of kin and will keep the deceased in the hospital. The hospital will ask you to go to the bereavement office where they will issue you with the medical certificate of death.  You will then be able to register the death. Once  registered, give us the paperwork and we will bring your loved one into our care. We have private Chapels of Rest at Chelmsford and Billericay and you may select whichever is most convenient to you.

An ‘expected’ Death at Home or at a Residential Home

You must contact the doctor, who attended the deceased during their final illness.  Once the doctor has attended and informs you that the deceased can be moved, you will then be able to contact Adam & Greenwood and we will arrange for your loved one to be brought into our care. The Doctor will issue a Medical Certificate of Death and will inform you how to Register the death.

Sudden or ‘unexpected’ Death

If somebody dies unexpectedly, it may not legally be possible for the doctor to certify death. The deceased must be taken to the Hospital.  Ring the emergency services on 999 and ask for ‘Police & Ambulance’. You may then ask the police to call Adam & Greenwood Funeral Home (01245 496620) on your behalf to take your loved one to the Hospital.

In these cases, the death is referred to the Coroner, to determine the cause of death and a Post Mortem Examination may be required.

In the vast majority of cases, where a Post Mortem Examination is carried out, the Coroner decides if there is need for further involvement. The next of kin is then advised by the Coroner that the death may then be registered in the normal way and the funeral may proceed.

On rare occasions, it may not be possible to register the death within the usual timescales.  To assist the next of kin in dealing with the deceased’s affairs, the Coroner will provide a booklet to explain what is happening.  Adam & Greenwood will keep in contact with the Coroner and the Hospital and will collect your relative and take them into our care as soon as they have been released.

Death away from Home

Please call us to arrange to bring a loved one back home from anywhere in the UK or from overseas. We can also arrange repatriation abroad.

Registering the Death

A death should normally be registered within 5 days unless the Coroner is involved.  This period can be changed in exceptional circumstances. The registration must take place within the district where the death occurred.  If this is inconvenient to you, again, in special circumstances it may be possible to arrange this locally.

The death can be registered by:

  • Any relative of the person who has died
  • Any person present at death
  • A person who lives in the house where the person died
  • The person arranging the funeral (not the funeral director)

You will need to telephone the Registrar to make an appointment to register the death. There is a new Central Office to make the appointments. You will normally be given an appointment within 24 hours of your call.

The Registrars’ telephone number is 0845 603 7632

Staff at the Registrars’ Central Office will also tell you where your nearest registry office is located.

You will need to take the following information with you:

  • The full name and address of the person who has died (with the correct spelling)
  • Their full address
  • Their date of birth
  • Details of where and when the person died
  • The Medical Card if it is available
  • Whether the deceased is to be buried or cremated
  • Your details, including your relationship to the deceased
  • If the deceased is a married woman, you will need to give her maiden name and her husband’s full name and occupation.

What the registrar will then give you:

  • A Green Form, to allow burial or cremation, which you must give to us as soon as possible
  • A White Certificate for you to fill in and send to the Pension Service or Job Centre to make any claims for benefits
  • A certified copy of the entry of deaths, known as the ‘Death Certificate’. It is strongly recommended that you purchase additional copies of the Death Certificate at this time to assist with formalities involving insurances, bank accounts and for pension schemes etc.
Our Funeral Homes are open Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm
Herongate Wood is open every day 9.00am to 4.30pm apart from Sundays and Bank Holidays